Thursday, May 9, 2013

Location: Himalayan Mountain Range (Collision Boundary)

My next destination took me to the Himalayan Mountain Range. The longitude and latitude points are  27°59'8.91"N  86°55'24.95"E. I took a plane from America to Kathmandu, Nepal. It was a bustling city, filled with activity. Live cows ran wild in the streets, past market stalls occupied by merchants selling a variety of trinkets, vegetables, and fruits. From there, I found and hired a sherpa (a climber guy) to take me to the base of Mount Everest, the tallest mountain in the entire range. Because I came all the way over here, I figured I would climb it. The supplies were bought and prepared within a matter of weeks, and my sherpa and I began the long climb up. Several weeks and five tries later, I made it to the peak. It was a grand view. On this tour, I found out the entire Himalayan Mountain Range was formed off of a collision boundary, which is a subcategory of  subduction boundary. A convergent boundary is when two plates collide head on. There are two subcategories to convergent. In this case, the subcategory is called a collision boundary, where when two plates, collide, the collision causes the crust at the boundary to be pushed upward into a mountain range. The two plates in this case are the Indo-Australian Plate and the Eurasian plate, as shown in the picture. The Himalayan Mountain Range prevent Arctic Winds from blowing south into South Asia, which makes South Asia warmer than corresponding temperate regions.

http://geolojay.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/himalayan_plates.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I like the personal detail; it definitely makes the blog post more interesting.

    LD

    ReplyDelete
  2. All your posts do a good job of explaining tectonic boundaries. I agree with Lucas that in this post, the additional details made it more interesting to read.
    HW

    ReplyDelete